Putting the A in STEM

Still sitting in the same field as yesterday, and decided to pull out the laptop and properly answer a question on Twitter that Tony Canning asked me.


The big question in STEM at the moment, does the A belong in STEM? I'm going to give my opinion on this now.

Firstly, for those of you who don't know what STEM is, it is Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths (The A at question is for Arts).

I feel I should mention that I am not very artistic, to be honest, I struggle to draw a stick man. I mention this because I'm not speaking from experience in art, but rather in STEM.

So now to the point!

I strongly believe that the arts does deserve it's spot in STEM (so STEAM), and I think its down to one main thing that Scientists, Techies, Engineers, Mathematicians & Artists share.

That one thing ....

Curiousity: 

The best people in STEM are curious. The look at something and think of how they can change it, and improve it, they simple ask questions.

They look at things differently...


Artists are the same, they have a burning curiosity about why we do the things we do.

Their is a lot of other things they share as well but I think Curiosity has to be the main one. Its a mindset, its the way they work, and to be honest I think that this is why the A should be in STEM.

So let's change STEM to STEAM!

Please like, share, comment and even start a conversation on Twitter ( Include me in the conversation, @TheHarryMcC )
 



0 comments:

Post a Comment